Sydney mechanic found guilty of murdering boss in workshop

They were there for about 2½ hours and his ticket number was N817, before he returned to the workshop to learn of his boss’s murder.

He denied arguing or fighting with Dastan, saying he was “a very good friend of mine, I respected him”.

His barrister Ertunc Ozen, SC, acknowledged Dastan’s only full-time employee was tardy, on occasions slack with his work ethic and it seemed he was skimming from the business.

“He was never going to win employee of the year,” he said.

But that didn’t mean he killed his boss.

Despite Kilincer being a suspect from the start, forensic examination of DNA and fingerprints at the crime scene failed to connect him with the killing.

Freshly washed clothing and shoes seized from his home on the day Dastan’s body was found also did not contain any traces of blood.

But prosecutor Brett Hatfield contended Kilincer tried to cover up his actions through false, implausible and inconsistent tales.

Kilincer, who had a gambling problem, had been stealing money from the till and was on the verge of being fired, he said.

A bloodied revenge note found at the crime scene contained phrasing similar to that used by Kilincer when telling police about an irate customer.

The customer was said to have threatened Dastan after buying a Toyota engine from him.

“The note appears to have been left as a false trail,” the prosecutor said.

The customer was out of Sydney at the time of the murder.

The prosecutor also suggested Gulser Kilincer had lied to the jury about where her husband had gone the morning of the murder.

Her claims included seeing him return home with a bag of bread.

“That detail that he came back home carrying some bread was false evidence given by both of them which they plainly, you might think, came up with falsely to assist the accused with his case,” Hatfield said.

Other witnesses described Esy Auto Dismantlers’ large roller doors as being shuttered early on December 11 – which was unusual – and a worker identified as the accused blocking two people from entering about 8 or 9am that day.

The victim’s wife, Sultan Dastan said she had called the business that morning.

Kilincer picked up the phone, saying that her husband was not in but that he would call back.

He never did.


The Morning Edition newsletter is our guide to the day’s most important and interesting stories, analysis and insights. Sign up here.

Back to top button