Todays Stories

Conroe’s response to the gun found at Grand Oaks HS was questioned by Texas State Representative Steve Toth, who said the current plan was not followed through.

Conroe, Texas (KTRK) – A state lawmaker said Conroe ISD failed to respond appropriately when a gun was found at one of their schools Thursday.

At approximately 9:20 a.m., the district received an anonymous tip through an app that a Grand Oaks High School student was carrying a gun on campus.

See previous report: Two students were found each carrying a gun in different school districts in the Houston area, according to district police

According to a district spokesperson, Conroe ISD Police “quickly” confiscated the weapon and took the student into custody.

However, Rep. Steve Toth, a Republican representing southern Montgomery County, believes their response has been a failure.

“Immediately. They’re supposed to immediately call 911 to let law enforcement know, and that didn’t happen,” he explained.

RELATED: Alert app said to have helped Conroe ISD police quickly respond to Grand Oaks HS student with gun

He said the district was supposed to contact other law enforcement agencies under an active shooter plan developed with Montgomery County officials, including the sheriff, in the wake of the mass shooting at Rupp Elementary School.

“Uvalde happened because the school district didn’t have a plan ready. We have a plan ready. We have a school district that’s not honoring the plan, and that’s the problem,” Toth said.

A district spokesperson told ABC13 in a statement that the police force of more than 80 “was able to quickly secure the weapon, detain the student – and remove the threat to others, so no outside support was required,” adding that “the information has been shared with enforcement agencies.” local law.”

Eyewitness News asked when this information was shared and with which agencies. A spokesman for the district said they would look into the matter on Monday.

“I can’t tell you about my communications with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s office, but I can tell you they were not notified when it happened,” Toth said.

Back to top button