Following the removal of Usman Baba as Inspector General of Police by President Bola Tinubu on Monday, DIG Egbetokun Olukayode was appointed as acting IGP.
Prior to his appointment, the Police Service Commission had, earlier in the year, approved the appointment of Egbetokun as a Deputy-Inspector General of Police.
Here are five things to know about the newly appointed acting IGP
1. Egbetokun was in 1999 appointed Chief Security Officer to President Tinubu when he was Lagos State governor.
2. The new acting IGP had also served as Commissioner of Police in Lagos State
3. He graduated from the University of Lagos, Akoka, Yaba, Lagos, with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mathematics in June 1987.
4. Before his enlistment into the Nigeria Police Force, Egbetokun was a lecturer at the Yaba College of Technology, Lagos.
5. He also holds MSc in Engineering Analysis from UNILAG, Postgraduate Diploma in Petroleum Economics from Delta State University, Abraka, and MBA from Lagos State University, Ojo.
6. Egbetokun served as the Commander, Rapid Response Squad, Lagos, Squadron Commander, Mopol 5, Benin, Benin City, Officer-in-Charge, Anti-Fraud Unit, FCT Command, Abuja; Chief Superintendent of Police, Administration, Lagos State Command Head Quarters, Ikeja; Area Commander, Osogbo, Osun State Command.