A retired major general identified as Richard Duru has been abducted by gunmen in Owerri North Local Government Area of Imo State.
Duru was said to have been kidnapped after he was waylaid by the gunmen.
The Director, Army Public Relations, Brig. Gen. Onyema Nwachukwu, could not be reached for a reaction on the matter as calls to his line indicated it was not reachable.
He had yet to respond to a message sent to him on the matter as of the time of filing this report.
However, two military sources, who confirmed the incident to our correspondent on Friday, disclosed that troops had been deployed to ensure his safe release.
One of them, who pleaded anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the matter, said other security agents involved in the operation were closing in on the abductors, promising that the retired general would be rescued.
“The incident is not new. He was abducted last week or thereabouts. His vehicle was also taken. He was waylaid by the criminals while on a journey.
“Efforts are being made to rescue him. They (security agents) are making progress and are closing in on the criminals, I can assure you; our troops, in collaboration with other security agencies, will ensure his safe return,” the source added.
However, according to a signal of the incident obtained by Sahara Reporters, troops tracked the retired military officer’s mobile number to Mbaitoli in Imo State before it was switched off.
It partly read, “His phone was tracked to Mbaitoli in Imo State before it was switched off.
“Efforts are ongoing to locate the kidnappers and rescue the retired general. All are requested to make efforts using all contacts (though discreetly) to hasten the return of the kidnapped general.”