Governor Godwin Obaseki of Edo says he has accepted the public apology by his deputy, Philip Shaibu, but noted that “his aberrant behaviour” contradicts what the people of Edo stand for.
“To name a few, the deputy governor needlessly filed unfounded petitions in the Nigerian courts restraining me, the state House of Assembly and security agencies from a non-existent impeachment process,” said Mr Obaseki.
The governor’s acceptance of Mr Shaibu’s public apology is contained in a statement on Thursday in Benin.
Mr Obaseki alleged that Mr Shaibu also launched “unwarranted attacks” on him and his administration through the media.
“The media frenzy, as a result of the above and more, provided an impression of crises that have been precarious and distasteful to Edo people in the State and across the world,” he added.
Mr Obaseki said he had accepted the apology “as a person of faith, ” adding, “I trust that the public apology as expressed by Shaibu is genuine and followed by contrite steps to improve his conflict resolution skills.”
“Although these unwarranted provocations caused me severe personal discomfort, as a person of faith, I am under obligation to accept this apology because, as they say, ‘to err is human, to forgive is divine,’” the governor said.
He added, “I also enjoin the deputy governor to guide his proxies to act in accordance with his piety.”
Last week, Mr Shaibu apologised to Mr Obaseki following their misunderstanding over his governorship ambition.
Mr Shaibu, while speaking to journalists after his inauguration as the grand patron of the Catholic Men’s Organisation (CMO) of the Catholic Archdioceses of Benin, said the apology was necessary to enable them to “finish strong. “
“So Mr Governor, please, if there is anything that you think I have done, I am sorry,” said Mr Shaibu. “I need us to work together to finish well and strong because that is my prayer for you.”