Complete Requirements for International Passport in Nigeria 2023 | Online Application
The international passport, often referred to as a Nigerian International Passport, is a fundamental requirement for Nigerians planning to explore international destinations. It serves not only as a proof of Nigerian citizenship but also as a reliable means of identification when traveling. In 2023, obtaining this essential travel document has become more accessible with the option of online application. In this comprehensive guide, we’ll walk you through the complete requirements for obtaining an international passport in Nigeria in 2023, ensuring that you’re well-prepared for your global adventures.
In Nigeria, there are five distinct types of passports, each designed to cater to various categories of individuals. It’s crucial to identify the appropriate passport category you belong to before applying for one. Here are the different types of Nigerian passports:
- Standard Passport: The standard Nigerian passport, easily recognizable by its green cover, is an essential travel document available to all Nigerian nationals. It serves as a means of identification for Nigerians traveling abroad.
- Diplomatic Passport: The diplomatic passport is exclusively reserved for high-ranking government officials, government ambassadors, and other key personnel. Individuals eligible for this type of passport include the President, Vice President, Governors, Senators, and other officials of significant stature. The diplomatic passport is easily identifiable by its distinct red cover.
- Official Passport: The official passport is designated for government officials such as Ministers, Governors, Permanent Secretaries, and the Secretary-General of the Federation. It facilitates official travel and represents the bearer’s affiliation with the Nigerian government. The official passport stands out with its distinctive blue cover.
- Seaman’s Passport: The seaman’s passport caters to individuals employed in maritime occupations, specifically those who work at sea. This type of passport is primarily issued to sailors and other maritime personnel. It is easily recognizable by its maroon cover.
- Pilgrim Passport: The Nigerian Immigration Services issues the pilgrim passport to Nigerian citizens embarking on religious pilgrimages to sacred destinations such as Jerusalem and Mecca. Due to security considerations, the pilgrim passport does not have a fixed cover color. Instead, it may vary to ensure the document’s integrity and safety.
What are the General Requirements for an International Passport in Nigeria?
The international passport serves as an official travel document and provides identification and proof of citizenship. To acquire an international passport in Nigeria, there are certain requirements that applicants must fulfill, and these requirements vary depending on whether it is a first-time passport or a renewal.
First-Time Passport Applicants
If you’re applying for an international passport for the first time, here are the requirements you need to meet:
- A completed passport application form.
- A recent passport-style photograph.
- A copy of your National Identification Number (NIN).
- A copy of your birth certificate.
- A letter of consent from your parents or guardian (if you are under 18 years old).
- Payment of N5,000 for the passport application fee.
Renewal Passport Applicants
If you are renewing your international passport, the requirements are slightly different:
- A completed passport application form.
- A recent passport-style photograph.
- A copy of your old passport.
- Payment of N2,000 for the passport application fee.
Steps Needed in Applying for an International Passport in Nigeria
To apply for an international passport in Nigeria, follow these steps:
- Visit the Nigerian Immigration Service website and download the passport application form.
- Fill out the application form and sign it.
- Attach a recent passport-style photograph to the application form.
- Attach a copy of your National Identification Number (NIN) to the application form.
- Attach a copy of your birth certificate to the application form.
- If you are under 18 years old, you will need to attach a letter of consent from your parents or guardian to the application form.
- Pay the passport application fee.
- Submit the application form and supporting documents to the Nigerian Immigration Service.
During this process, every applicant is issued an application ID and reference number. Once the payment is made, a Validation Number is given, which will be used to confirm payment and set an interview date.
How Much Does an International Passport Cost in Nigeria?
The cost of obtaining an international passport in Nigeria can vary depending on several factors, including the applicant’s age and the type of passport booklet required. There are two options: the 32-paged booklet and the 64-paged booklet.
To streamline the application process for an international passport, payment is conducted online, with the option to pay in either Nigerian Naira or US dollars.
For the specific cost of a new international passport in Nigeria, visit the passport guideline page on the official website of the Nigeria Immigration Services. This reliable source provides up-to-date information regarding the applicable fees, ensuring you have the latest information before initiating the application process.
What is the Processing Time for International Passports in Nigeria?
The typical processing time for an international passport in Nigeria is three weeks for a renewal and six weeks for a fresh application. However, it’s essential to note that processing times may be longer during peak periods, such as the summer travel season.
Where Can I Apply for an International Passport?
You can apply for an international passport at the following locations:
- The Nigerian Immigration Service Headquarters in Abuja
- Any of the State Command Headquarters of the Nigerian Immigration Service
- Any of the Passport Offices of the Nigerian Immigration Service
In conclusion, obtaining an international passport in Nigeria is a vital step for Nigerian citizens looking to explore the world and engage in international endeavors. To successfully obtain an international passport, applicants must meet the stipulated criteria, which may include providing necessary documents such as a birth certificate, proof of Nigerian citizenship, and a valid identification card. Additionally, applicants are required to complete the application form accurately and pay the prescribed fee.
It’s essential to stay updated on the specific requirements, as they may evolve over time. Therefore, it is advisable to consult the official website of the Nigeria Immigration Services for the most current and accurate information. With the right documents and a clear understanding of the process, you’ll be well on your way to embarking on exciting international journeys. Safe travels!
What is an International Passport?
The Nigerian Immigration Service issues International Passports, which serve as travel documents for Nigerians traveling outside the country.
How to get an International Passport in Nigeria?
You can apply for a passport through the Nigerian Immigration Service website or by visiting a Nigerian Immigration office.
How much does an International Passport cost in Nigeria?
The cost of an International Passport in Nigeria varies depending on the type of passport and the duration. In 2023, the cost of the standard 32 pages passport is N70,000, and the 64 pages passport costs N100,000.
How long is an International Passport valid for?
The validity of an International Passport depends on the type of passport issued. The 32 pages passport is valid for 5 years as standard, and the 64 pages passport is valid for 10 years.
Can I renew my International Passport?
Yes, you can renew your passport. The renewal process is similar to applying for a new passport. The general requirements include your old passport, two recent passport-sized photographs, and payment of the appropriate fees.
In conclusion, obtaining a Nigerian International Passport in 2023 has been made more accessible through online application. By following the steps outlined in this guide and ensuring you meet all the requirements, you can obtain your passport and embark on your international adventures with ease. Safe travels!