The federal government says it will do everything humanly possible to ensure that Nigeria returns to UNESCO governing board.
Information minister Mohammed Idris gave the assurance when the permanent delegate of Nigeria to UNESCO, Hajo Sani, and her team visited him on Wednesday in Abuja.
According to Mr Idris, his information ministry is key in the activities of UNESCO, adding that it will participate fully and effectively. The minister said he was keen to see Nigeria take advantage of full opportunities made available to Nigeria’s membership at UNESCO, urging that the ministry should always be communicated on any opportunity.
“We will put up our strategy and strengthen our engagements with other member nations to see that Nigeria returns to that seat on the board. If there are only 58 members, I don’t see why Nigeria should not be there. I know that we stepped out so that others could participate in the spirit of unity and togetherness,” stated Mr Idris.
The minister added, “But now that we had that holiday, we will go back to that seat at UNESCO. The ministry will put its thinking cap and engage member nations. We will step up our engagement activities before the time. We are very confident that you, too, will get there. This is because it is for the good of Nigeria and Africa as a whole.”
Ms Sani said, “Nigeria is presently a member of the Intergovernmental Council of the IPDC until December 2023. Nigeria is also very much involved in the Sector’s programmes under the Committee Programme on the Freedom of Expression, Programme on the Safety of Journalists and the issue of impunity in Media and Information Literacy (MIL) Programme.”
Ms Sani added, “We are also looking forward to the adoption of the Abuja Declaration on Global Financing for Media and Information Literacy.”
She also hinted that the 2023 Global MIL Week in Amman, Jordan, from October 24 to 31, 2023, had been cancelled due to the current crisis in the Middle East, adding that a new date will be announced in due course.