President Bola Ahmed Tinubu has congratulated Nigerians on the occasion of the country’s 63rd Independence Anniversary.
In his nationwide broadcast speech on Sunday morning, Tinunu hailed the nation’s past heroes, founding fathers and mothers for their struggles for liberation which, according to him, brought about today’s modern Nigeria.
Below are the major takeaways from the president’s speech.
● Average low-grade workers to receive an additional 25k monthly for 6 months.
● Infrastructural support funds set up as states have already received funds to provide relief packages against the impact of rising food costs.
● Thorough housecleaning of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), described as the den of malfeasance, and the presentation of findings by the special investigator to prevent similar reoccurrences.
● Deployment of cheaper CNG buses across the nation to lower transport cost and positively affecting fares.
● Inaugurated a tax committee to improve the efficiency of tax administration and address fiscal policies that hinder business environment and slow the country’s growth.
● Commencement of social safety net being expanded through cash transfers programs to additional 15 million households to mitigate the effects of fuel subsidy removal.
● Embarkment on several public service reforms to stabilise the economy, direct fiscal and monetary policies to fight inflation, and encourage production.