The indefinite strike has been terminated, according to the organised labour, the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), and the Trade Union Congress (TUC), who made the announcement on Monday night.
When the government refused to comply with the unions’ requests, the unions told their affiliated member unions around the nation to mobilise and shut down the nation.
But in an effort to stop the strike from happening on October 3, 2023, the Federal Government called organised labour to a conference on Monday at the Chief of Staff Conference Room, Presidential Villa, Abuja.
NLC, TUC Declare Indefinite Strike From October 3
The NLC President, Joe Ajaero, his TUC counterpart, Festus Osifo, the NLC General Secretary, Emma Ugbaja, and the TUC Secretary General, Nuhu Toro were among the members of the organised labour delegation present at the meeting.
The Minister of State for Labour, Nkeiruka Onyejecha, the Minister of Finance, Wale Edun, the Minister of Information and National Orientation, Mohammed Idris, and the National Security Adviser, Nuhu Ribadu, make up the government team.
The strike had been put on hold for 30 days, according to an announcement made by organised labour following the meeting.
The NLC and TUC accept to postpone for 30 days the planned indefinite nationwide strike slated to commence on Tuesday, October 3, 2023, according to Simon Lalong, Minister of Labour and Employment, who made the announcement to State House reporters.
UPDATE: Details of FG’s Meeting With NLC, TUC Emerges
According to Lalong, the Memorandum must be submitted to the appropriate court of competent jurisdiction as a consent judgement by the FG within a week.
However, the NLC President, Joe Ajaero, said the unions would revisit the agreement if the FG fails to fulfil its demands.
Follow us on Facebook
The opinions, beliefs and viewpoints expressed by the author and forum participants on this website do not necessarily reflect the opinions, beliefs and viewpoints of Anaedo Online or official policies of the Anaedo Online.