adplus-dvertising
News

LAWMA begins probe as driver crushes two sweepers

The Lagos State Waste Management Authority has said it is probing the death of two of their employees crushed to death by a random bus on Monday morning at the Charley Boy inward Gbagada-Oworonshoki Expresway of the state.

The agency’s Director of Public Affairs, Folashade Kadiri, who spoke to our correspondent via Whatsapp to confirm the news requested that the authority should be allowed to mourn their dead.

She said, “There is no other additional reaction, aside from what was posted on handles. Investigation is ongoing as to what led to it. We should allow the security operatives to do their job, while we as an Authority are allowed to mourn our dead.

“Thank you for your understanding.”

It was earlier reported that a bus driver crushed two LAWMA women who were sweeping the express road in the early hours of Monday at the Charley Boy inward Gbagada.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the two women died on the spot.

A witness, Sodiq, who spoke to our correspondent,  “The accident happened this morning. The bus was at top speed because it was trying to run away from LASTMA officers.

“The driver lost control and ran over the two ladies who were busy doing their work and they died instantly.

“It was a ghastly accident. We don’t know what was wrong with the driver, he just drove straight here and hit the two women. It is such a pity.”

PUNCH Metro further learnt that people in groups were agitating and as a result of the agitation, the area was cordoned off as the crowd caused traffic congestion on the road.

The state’s Police Public Relations Officer, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, also confirmed the incident, adding that the corpses had been deposited at the morgue.

Hundeyin however revealed that the driver of the bus took off with his bus and had yet to be apprehended.

He said, “Yes, there was an accident but no arrest has been made yet. We are on the trail of the driver he made away from the scene of the incident with his vehicle.”

“The corpses of the deceased have been deposited in the morgue.”

The Permanent Secretary of Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Damilola Oke-Osanyintolu, while speaking to our correspondent, said they would investigate the matter and find out the cause of the accident. He however advised the good people of Lagos State to remain calm as peace had been restored to the area.

“It’s a pathetic situation, highly unacceptable. However, when the incident occurred, we stepped in with our Rapid Response Squad and secured the situation. But we will look at the cause holistically.

“We advise the good people of Lagos State to remain cool and calm.”

The Lagos State Ministry of Transportation has however denied the allegation that the street sweepers were killed by a vehicle chased by its officials.

In a statement released on Monday evening, signed by the Special Adviser on Transportation to the Governor of Lagos State, Sola Giwa, the agency expressed its condolences but stated that no LASTMA officer was involved in the incident.

The statement read, “The attention of the Lagos State Ministry of Transportation has been drawn to the above captioned story circulating on social media, alleging that LASTMA personnel were responsible for a fatal incident that claimed the lives of two LAWMA street sweepers today around Charlie Boy at Gbagada inward Oworonsoki, Lagos.

“The Ministry of Transportation wishes to express its profound condolences to the management of LAWMA and families of the deceased and prayed for the repose of the departed souls.

“Information gathered revealed that the driver of a Honda Saloon car with registration number EPE 984 DV rammed into the innocent sweepers while they were discharging their duties along Gbagada Expressway this morning.

“Immediate investigation revealed that no LASTMA officer was involved in the unfortunate incident.”

He however disclosed that the police had recovered the vehicle and that investigation was ongoing.

They also assured the public that anyone found culpable after investigation will face the wrath of the law.

“In addition, it was confirmed that policemen from Pedro Police Station had recovered the accidented vehicle into their custody to aid further and thorough investigation on the incident in order to unravel the real cause.

“The Ministry of Transportation wants to assure members of the public that the outcome of the police investigation will be made public and anyone found culpable would be made to face the consequence of the law.

Back to top button