National

Eno orders residents to vacate erosion-threatened areas 

Akwa Ibom state governor Pastor Umo Eno has ordered immediate relocation of residents and demolition of structures around erosion-threatened Uyo-Ewet areas of Uyo metropolis.

Interacting with one of the residents in the area during an unscheduled visit to the project site on Friday, Eno directed the Commissioner for Lands, Capt. Iniobong Ekong, to ensure the immediate relocation to enable the smooth implementation of the project plan.

He said beyond attacking “major gully erosion in the area, by reclaiming the once inaccessible and life-threatening ravine, the government aims at creating wealth out of the waste.”

He expressed delight at the pace of work, which is at a very advanced stage, and assured that when completed, children and their parents, from within and outside the state, “will have a good facility for relaxation.”

In his remarks, the managing director of the contracting firm, Bulletine Construction Company Limited, Chief Faysal Harb, said phase one of the recreational park, which has a golf course, football pitch, lawn tennis court, basketball, volleyball, and children playground, among others, was already taking shape.

During the governor’s first visit some months ago, the Udo Inwang Street axis of the site was completely collapsed at the Etim Okon Usanga intersection, and he had assured that upon completion, the hitherto dangerous ravine would be converted to a recreational facility that would be a tourist’s delight.

As of the time of the visit, the collapsed and inaccessible areas had been restored, and passable including the extension which Governor Eno had added to the contract in order to prevent the Uyo Custodial Centre from collapse.

Back to top button