News

Fire From Cooking Destroys Rivers Varsity Hostel

Fire has destroyed several valuable items on Sunday at the female hostel of the Ignatius Ajuru University of Education in Rumuolumeni Obio-Akpor Council of Rivers State.

Vice Chancellors of the Institution, Prof Okechukwu Onuchukwu said that the fire was caused by a female student who was cooking in the hostel.

He said the quick response of students and the Nigerian Navy Fire Service and the Federal fire service prevented the fire from spreading to other sections of the hostel.

Onuchukwu, who confirmed that no lives were lost to the incident, said the female student responsible for the fire will face disciplinary action for violating the University No-Cooking in the hostel rule.

He said: ” The fire was to enter into the main building but student tried as much as possible to curb that and we were able to call Nigerian Navy and they came with fire service equipment, then the Federal fire service came too with their equipment.

The most important thing is that no life was lost and we were able to arrest the situation for it not to enter into the main hostel.

The female student will face disciplinary action because there is a rule that nobody should cook in the room.”

Back to top button