News

‘No Cause For Alarm’ — Dangote Reacts To Fire Outbreak At $20bn Refinery In Lagos

The Dangote Group has confirmed a fire outbreak at its $20bn refinery in Lagos State.

THE WHISTLER earlier reported that there was a fire incident at the refinery located in Ibeju-Lekki.

Reacting in a statement on Wednesday, the Chief Corporate Communications Officer of Dangote Group, Anthony Chiejina, said there was no cause for alarm.

According to him, the fire has been contained.

Chiejina informed that there was no recorded injuries, adding that the refinery is operating normally.

“We have swiftly contained a minor fire incident at our effluent treatment plant (ETP) today, Wednesday, 26th of June.

“There is no cause for alarm as the refinery is operating normally, and there are no recorded injuries or bodily harm to any of our staff on duty,” he said.

The 650,000 barrels per day (bpd) refinery is the largest single-train in the world. It was inaugurated in May last year, but commenced refining operations in January this year.

The refinery is owned by Africa’s richest man, Aliko Dangote.

Back to top button