News

Osun Denies Recording Cases Of Cholera

The Osun State Government has denied reports that the state recorded 13 cases of cholera.

This comes after the Director-General of
Nigeria Centre for Disease Control and Prevention (NCDC), Dr Jide Idris, disclosed Saturday that the nation had recorded 34 deaths from confirmed and suspected cases of cholera outbreak in 15 states between January and June 21, 2024.

Idris had stated that eleven confirmed cases were recorded in Osun State.

However, the Osun government, through the Special Adviser to the Governor on Health Matters, Dr. Adekunle Akindele, said the state has not recorded any confirmed cases of cholera.

Akindele clarified that contrary to the claim in the report, Osun recorded 13 suspected cases of cholera but all turned out negative upon a laboratory assessment, assuring the people of the state of adequate preventive measures by the government to prevent the occurrence, and respond to the outbreak whenever a case is recorded.

“Osun State Government through the Ministry of Health, has proactively reactivated and established the Public Health Rapid Response Team (PHRRT) and Cholera Technical Working Group (CTWG) respectively, to ensure adequate surveillance and risk communication activities in order to guarantee the health of the citizens.

“Though, Osun is yet to record any confirmed case of Cholera, adequate preventive measures have been put in place to prevent the occurrence, and respond to the outbreak in case we eventually record a case,” said Akindele.

“Thirteen (13) sample(s) have been collected so far. All 13 samples sent were negative,” he pointed out.

He said the Ministry of Health will continue to intensify public awareness on the prevention of cholera and what to do when symptoms develop, calling on the media shun sensationalism.

Back to top button